When someone in your care gets the flu, there are steps you can take to keep it from spreading to you or your family.
14 Ways to Prevent the Spread of the Flu and Stay Healthy When Caring for Someone with the Flu:
1. Wash your hands: Use soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub frequently, especially after every contact with the sick person, the sick person’s room or bathroom, and even items used or touched by the sick person.
2. Remind the sick person to cover coughs and clean his or her hands with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub often, especially after coughing or sneezing.
3. Avoid being face-to-face with the sick person and, if possible, have only one adult in the home take care of the sick person.
4. Keep the sick person away from other people as much as possible, especially those who are at high risk of complications from the flu.
5. Create a sick room if you can and keep the sick person in a room away from common areas of the house
6. If you have more than one bathroom, have the sick person use one and well people use the other. Clean the sick room and bathroom daily with household disinfectant.
7. Open a window: Maintain good ventilation, especially in shared areas like the bathroom and kitchen.
8. Restrict visitors: This is the perfect time you use text email or the phone.
9. If your child is sick, hold them with their chin placed on your shoulder so they don’t cough in your face.
10. Toss the germs: throw the sick person’s tissues and other used disposable items in the trash.
11. Keep surfaces clean. Use disinfectant on bedtables, doorknobs, phones and toys.
12. Clean linens, eating utensils, and dishes used by the sick person thoroughly before reusing. You do not need to wash items separately.
13. Laundry tips: Wash linens with laundry soap and tumble dry on a hot setting. Avoid “hugging” laundry to your body before washing it to prevent contaminating yourself.
14. Ask your healthcare provider if well people in your home—particularly those contacts who are at increased risk of severe illness should take antiviral medications to prevent getting the flu.